Getting a brighter smile is one of the best ways to improve how you look and feel, and more and more people are now looking into teeth whitening procedures. If your pearly whites are more of a yellowish-brown, there are all kinds of ways for you to reduce this discoloration. Of the alternatives available, visiting a professional teeth whitening dental practice is by far the safest and will provide the best results.
What is Teeth Whitening?
A lot of people might assume that nothing can be done about the color of their teeth, but teeth whitening can in fact be surprisingly effective. Most procedures and products make use of mild abrasives or bleaching agents to remove stains and change the color of teeth. However, the most straightforward way to improve the color of your teeth is to change your habits. Some of the main causes of tooth discoloration are:
- Diet. Many foods and drinks contain substances that coat or react with your enamel, changing its natural off-white color to something closer to yellow or brown.
- Smoking is another cause of discoloration, due to nicotine and other substances present in tobacco.
- Certain prescription drugs can also be a contributing factor.
- Inadequate care. If you don’t regularly brush your teeth, use mouthwash, or floss, stain-producing substances won’t be removed, and plaque will build up.
Of course, cutting down on coffee, wine, and cigarettes only improves the color of your teeth up to a point. If your teeth are discolored because of trauma to the mouth, because of chemotherapy, or simply because of aging, you’ll need to take a different course of action to get a brighter smile.
Over-the-counter products like whitening toothpaste, dental strips, and basic bleaching kits can be effective in polishing the surfaces of teeth and reducing the visibility of stains, though they also have their limits. To really see a major difference, your best bet is to visit a professional, like the cosmetic dentist in Webster, TX. They will help you to get the kind of results that only professional teeth whitening can provide.
Professional Teeth Whitening
Helping patients get whiter teeth is one of the main things that the field of cosmetic dentistry is focused on. There are two main methods, referred to as at-home whitening, and in-office (or chairside) whitening.
With at-home whitening, your dentist molds a tray to the shape of your mouth and fills it with a special gel. You then wear it for a set period of time each day, for a number of weeks. In-office whitening will be carried out by your dentist in one or two extended sessions.
Do I Need to See a Professional?
Visiting a cosmetic dentist to get your teeth whitened has several important benefits. Some advantages of professional teeth whitening include:
- Better cleaning. Before whitening, the dentist will clean your teeth thoroughly with their specialized equipment. Professional removal of plaque or tartar gives you the clean slate that is needed to make the whitening process more effective.
- Safety. Dentists will examine your teeth before carrying out procedures, to make sure that there is no risk of gum damage or increased tooth sensitivity.
- More powerful bleaching. Dentists have access to bleaching agents with concentrations as high as 35 percent, much more potent than what would be available for you to use at home.
- Laser equipment. Professional cosmetic dentists may also use UV or argon lights in order to enhance the effects of bleaching agents.
Professional teeth whitening is now widely available. The Webster, TX dental office is a great local practice, where you can make the most of what cosmetic dentistry has to offer. Brighten up your smile and it might just change your life. Seek out a professional today, and find out how much whiter your teeth could be.